Table of Contents
An auto mechanic is a person who inspects, maintains, and works on vehicles. While an auto repair technician inspects, preserves, and repairs gas, electric, hybrid, and alternative fuel vehicles. The salary for an auto repair technician in the United States is around $39,755 per year.
The auto repair technician’s primary role is to diagnose the problem accurately and quickly. On the contrary, they often have to showcase prices for their customers before commencing the work. Moreover, their job may involve repairing a specific part or replacing one or more elements.
However, it isn’t just about fixing vehicles. They have other responsibilities as well.
- Repair and maintain vehicles
- Create maintenance plans for individual vehicles
- Deal with electrical issues
- Keep notes on each machine’s history
The Qualities Of A Good Auto Mechanic
- Problem Solving Skills: To be a sound technician, you must identify what’s wrong with your service’s vehicles and give the best possible solutions.
- Perseverance: To become a good mechanic, you can stick to a plan until you find a way to help solve your customer’s problems.
- A good work ethic: Your customers will depend on you; therefore, you must sustain a good working environment.
- Attention to detail: Whether you are working on maintenance, repairs, diagnostics, you’ll have to perform those tasks with exacting detail.
- Good social skills: You’ll need excellent customer service skills to be a great automotive technician.
What Are The Auto Mechanic Certifications available?
Certifications can be a great tool to show workers you know your positions. There is a list of the most common auto mechanics certifications. These certifications will help you get a job and will also increase your overall value.
1. Commercial Driver License
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is the U.S. Department of Transportation agency responsible for establishing the Commercial Driver’s License standards. You will obtain the CDL once you pass the CDL knowledge and skills tests for the license class.
2. HVAC Maintenance Technician Certificate
Students are required to pass nine courses to earn an HVAC Maintenance Certificate awarded upon completing each class.
3. Certified Auto Glass Technicians
This program holds an online examination consisting of 70 multiple choice questions, allowing 90 seconds per question to answer. And the Auto Glass Safety Council certifies the program.
4. Air Conditioning Service Certification
It tests aspirants’ knowledge of the installation, maintenance, repair, and service of HVAC systems.
5. Advanced Automotive Maintenance Certificate
Students must pass five courses to earn an Advanced Automotive Maintenance Certificate, which gets awarded upon successful completion of each class.
Roles Of Auto Mechanic Schools and Trainings
Anyone pursuing an associate’s degree could make the best out of the cost of a mechanic school. That too by enrolling at any of the prestigious colleges for auto mechanics. The best trade school will provide you with deep learning about automobile parts and update upcoming technologies. Furthermore, these schools offer high–quality education that will help get you qualified to work in the automotive industry.
The future of auto mechanic training requires detailed knowledge of vehicle engines and all their components. Training programs offer after secondary schools; while, the lengths to each of those programs are different. In addition, several colleges provide car repair training for aspirants.
When students attend a full-time basis, these auto mechanic programs last only two years. Meanwhile, there is a need to meet all the standard core class requirements. So Philadelphia Technology Training Institute (PTTI) provides a diploma in Automotive Technology & Repair, which has the design to train aspirants in automotive repair for light trucks and cars.
The Final Verdict
Auto repair technicians are most into a maintenance technician position.
The auto mechanics’ average salaries range from $31,600 to $45,000 per year.
There are various options for those who are looking to pursue a career as an auto mechanic.
If you are wondering about a lucrative career and are interested in pursuing this profession, you’re in the right. With such a developing industry where technologies are constantly evolving, several inspection schools provide the best automotive training in the market. PTTI is one of the leading training institutes that offers value to their clients.